Go here to view the tutorial for Recochoku.
Here's a summary of both so you can decide which option is better for you.:
Amazon- International credit cards will not work as payment. Those living outside of Japan will need to use an Amazon JP gift card as payment. You will be able to download the song to your computer after purchasing. The song download is in mp3 format with a variable average bit rate of 283 kbps.
Recochoku- Song can be bought through the mobile website or Japanese Nintendo 3DS Recochoku store only. You can not buy on the regular website. International credit cards will work as payment. For Iphone users the song can only be played through the Recochoku plus music player app available only through the Japanese app store so you'll need a Japanese Itunes ID. For android phones, I'm not sure what the process is. The song is downloaded to the app in m4a format in either 128 or 320 kbps.
A VPN needs to be used for purchasing at either stores if you're overseas.
**Updated on 2017.05.04 to include how to obtain an Amazon JP gift card.**
Click to enlarge images
1. You'll need to create an account at https://www.amazon.co.jp/.
Click on link below the サインイン button to create a new account.
Fill in a user name and an e-mail address, and your account is created once you click on the button.
2. Type or copy/paste マッサージ探偵ジョー in the search bar to locate the song. There are two hits for Otsukare Thanks but I think they are both the same so you can choose either.
3. Click on either the yellow or gray button and then the yellow button in the following screen to purchase.
4. You'll then need to add a billing address and payment method. I used my Tenso address as the billing address. You can sign up for a free account here if you've never used Tenso before.
International credit card did not work for me as the payment method so I used the Amazon gift card option (2nd payment option). You can buy an Amazon e-gift card here at Amazon JP using an international credit card. Alternatively, some other online stores also sell them, but usually they'll cost a bit more than the gift card amount and probably only certain gift card amounts are available.
Here's the step-by-step process for purchasing a gift card at Amazon JP:
Fill in the amount you want on the gift card (you may just put 250yen for the cost of the song in the other amount space) and the e-mail address to receive the gift card. Click the top yellow button to add to cart once you're done filling out the necessary information.
Click the yellow button to continue.
You'll then need to select a payment method. The 2nd option is by credit card and foreign cards will work if it's one of the listed card companies.
Click on the blue link to add your credit card information.
Once you fill in your card info, click on the add credit card button.
Here, you choose the currency of your card. By default, the first option is initially selected which will list the currency your card is from. You may choose a different currency with the 2nd option. I just went with my country's currency.
Then click the far right button to continue with this payment option.
Then, you'll need to add a billing address.
Click on the blue link to add a foreign address.
And then fill in the address associated with your credit card. Click the yellow button once you're done.
Now you're ready to purchase the gift card. You can purchase in your card's currency or in Japanese yen. If you choose your card's currency, the cost in that currency and the applied conversion rate will be shown. Go with whatever option is better for you.
Click on the yellow button to purchase, and you should receive your gift card at the e-mail you listed within 5 minutes.
5. Going back to payment for "Otsukare Thanks", enter a valid gift card code and you'll be able to click on the yellow button to purchase. Make sure you're using a VPN with a Japan location option if you're outside Japan before clicking on the purchase button or it won't work. I used the TunnelBear extension in Chrome as my VPN but any VPN with a Japan location option should work.
6. You should have the song now. You can go to your account page and click on the order history section (The box icon on the top left) to view your purchase and download the song to your computer.
Clicking on the first link will download the song to your computer.
The download is in mp3 format with a variable average bit rate of 283kbps.
If you are able to, please consider supporting Nakamaru by purchasing the song.